It appears that changing the Windows Vista default logon account or removing the auto-login completely is a tricky thing to do.
In this article, you will learn how to enable auto-logon, select a default account for auto-logon, or turn off the auto-logon feature.
- Click the Vista 'Start' Icon to display the menu
- In the Search box type netplwiz and press Enter
- Choose Continue at the User Account Control confirmation box
- Place a check in the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
- Checking the box allows you to select a different account for auto-logon.
- Or, if you want to disable auto-logon, simply click OK, and you are finished!
- To change the default auto-logon account, Click on the user's name to highlight the account.
- Uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
- Click Apply
- In the popup window, enter the password for the selected user account (if it has one) and confirm the password.
- Click OK
The next time the computer is restarted, Vista will automatically login the user that was selected.